We are committed to providing the best possible care for your pet.
Our trained and experienced staff will ensure that your pets needs are fully met, while providing you with helpful and compassionate support and knowledge. We are happy to see dogs, cats, rabbits, mice, rats, guinea pigs, birds.
Full hospital facilities, should your pet need to stay in our hospital for surgery or treatment:
- fully equipped surgery for routine (eg desexing) and more complicated surgeries (eg bone fractures)
- new dental machine which allows us to clean teeth with the scaler and polisher and extract teeth with the drill
- fluid pump which ensures appropriate fluid therapy for dehydrated animals and during surgery
- latest anaesthetic machine
- pulse oximeter and ap-alert to assist us monitoring your pet while under anaesthesia
- consultations by appointment for any problems your pet may have
- worming/flea treatment
- dental advice
- nutritional advice for all stages of life, weight loss and medical conditions
- management of chronic conditions such as skin allergies, arthritis, kidney failure and cancer
- new puppy and kitten advice
- behavioural advice
In-house diagnostic testing:
- DR digital xray machine
- well equipped laboratory which allows us to do blood and urine testing on-site
- microscope for urine testing and diagnosing skin conditions
- digital ultrasound
- ECG monitoring
DANGEROUS FOODS & SUBSTANCES FOR PETS
A list of the most common toxicities we see or get asked about.
- Rat bait, snail bait, or possum bait - symptoms can take a few days to show so earlier treatment is better.
Chocolate, coffee and tea - caffeine and theobromine.
Garlic and onions (cooked and raw) - often in gravy. Do not give garlic supplements for deworming/fleas - this does not work and is toxic.
Grapes and raisins - very toxic, even a few can cause kidney failure.
Paracetamol (panadol), ibuprofen (nurofen) and aspirin - these are the most common human medications given to animals, unfortunately even one tablet can be harmful.
Alcohol, bread dough
- Marijuana, tobacco (anything with nicotine) and other recreational drugs including certain mushrooms
- Xylitol - artificial food sweetener.
Raw potato, avocado, macadamia nuts.
Chemicals - ethylene glycol (antifreeze), fertilisers, pesticides, disinfectants including bleach, detergents and antiseptic fluids/lotions. Do not use human antiseptics, creams or bleach to treat wounds - this can get absorbed or they can ingest it by licking.
Plants - including lilies, pine, acorn, bracken fern, macrocarpa.
Bones are not toxic but can be very unsafe. We often see broken teeth, but worse many dogs become obstructed and need immediate surgery. We also see food poisoning and constipation from bones being fed. If you do feed them ensure they are fresh and not cooked (cooked bones become sharp shards when crunched down), and try to prevent your dog from swallowing chunks of bone.
The most common symptoms of toxicity can be just one or a combination of the following: Vomiting, shaking, lethargy, inappetance, urinating more or less, changes with breathing, seisuring, staggering or abnormal mentation, weakness, bleeding or bruising anywhere.
If you notice any of these symptoms, please visit us immediately.
If in doubt, please call us or come to the clinic.
We are more than happy to help! (09) 299 8932.